Monday, October 11, 2010

Fire, Anyone?

Again, from illustration class with Dunnick. Third project this semester, whoo! Anyways, the assignment for this was that we were given the twelve months of the year, and each month had one of the twelve gods of the Greek pantheon assigned to it. The task was to design a square illustration to be the image for the month.

There were a couple interesting ideas I flipped through(Poseidon was assigned to Febuary, Hestia to April, I believe Zeus was January?). I went with December though, which has the smithing god Hephaestus assigned to it. Hephaestus was the god of smithing, forges, weapons, fire, blacksmiths, etc. He was also the god that forged the lightning bolts Zeus used in battle. (I'm a mythology buff. It actually came in handy for one with an assignment.)

So what was the first thing that popped into my tiny little brain? Hephaestus hammering away at a giant glowing candy cane, his workshop decorated with Christmas paraphernalia. I also realize the irony of a Greek god paired with a Christian holiday.



I like how parts of it came out, especially the Christmas lights, but I can see lots of improvements I could make. Especially on his face. It's kinda sorta creepy. Eeehhhhagdnosdbfsc.

No comments: